It’s a common practice among fellow PMs to review each other product or feature. Infact, I was heavily invested in the feedback during my first few weeks at Angel Broking.
The whole idea of the Product feedback was to ensure that the most user friendly product is created. I was quite thorough in my feedback through written & verbal communication both. I ensured that the fellow PMs are able to understanding the bigger picture & doesn’t hesitate to ask about rationale about my feedback.
I am sharing my personal cheat sheet which helped me structure Product feedback.
- Begin with framework & detailed reasoning ❓ : Your feedback should be completely objective & must follow a specific framework so that they can follow the same next time as well.
- Give a glimpse of bigger picture 🌅 : If you are well aware about he organizations’ OKR & make them understand the same in a lucid & logical manner. It will empower them to think in a more matured manner next time onwards.
- Bring fresh perspective to the previous ideas 💡: You should ensure that along with presenting fresh perspective to the product , you are able to analyze the previous ideas as well even if they were tried earlier & understand deeply why they failed earlier. Since you are viewing it from a fresh lens, it might help in reviewing it again.
- Acknowledge their competence 🧑🎓: Since they are working on the problem statement quite deeply, they have better context & competence to figure out the solution. Your job in providing feedback involves sharing all the relevant information & experience and let them take the final call.
- Give valuable & actionable feedback 🔴: You should always ensure that the feedback is very specific & help them in the present stage. It shouldn’t become a brainstorming exercise of reinventing the wheel again & starting from the scratch.
- Categorize feedback 🪣: You should always categorize your feedback in different buckets such as, UX/UI , the flow, analytics etc. Do ensure that the expectation is accordingly set.
- Always include key metrics 📊: It’s always a good practice to kickstart the discussion with the list of key metrics which are going to get impacted with the solution approach. This set the context of the whole discussion and always gives you clear direction in terms of relevant feedbacks.
Providing valuable feedback is a shortcut to develop a good reputation among the peers and win their trust.
Thanks for reading! If you’ve got ideas to contribute to this conversation please comment. If you like what you read and want to see more, clap me some love! Follow here, or connect with me on LinkedIn