How am I guiding APM in my team to master the art of Product Management?
As a senior product manager, I am working closely with APM in my team. There are a plethora of tangible and intangible skillsets I am trying to train the APM in my team. Here is a list of the top 6 skills:
- Product management fundamentals: Senior product managers can teach associate product managers the fundamental principles and practices of product management, such as product strategy, market analysis, and customer research. They can also provide guidance on how to develop and maintain a product roadmap, and how to prioritize and manage the product backlog.
- Leadership and team management: Senior product managers can also teach associate product managers how to lead and manage a product development team. This can involve providing guidance on how to motivate and inspire the team, how to communicate effectively, and how to foster collaboration and teamwork.
- Decision-making and problem-solving: Senior product managers can teach associate product managers how to make effective decisions and solve complex problems. This can involve providing guidance on how to assess and evaluate different options, how to consider the risks and benefits of each option, and how to choose the best course of action.
- Communication and collaboration: Senior product managers can also teach associate product managers how to communicate effectively and collaborate with other teams and stakeholders. This can involve providing guidance on how to present ideas and proposals, how to listen and respond to feedback, and how to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders. It can also involve how to effectively write the MoMs so that all the stakeholders are clear with their respective actionable.
- Industry knowledge and best practices: Senior product managers can also provide associate product managers with valuable knowledge and insights about the industry and the latest best practices in product management. This can help associate product managers to stay up-to-date and informed, and develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed as product managers.
- Product Analytics fundamentals: SPM can groom the APMs about reading the dashboards and deriving insights based on analysing the trends. It’s also crucial for the SPMs to ensure that APMs are comfortable with numbers and are ready to get their hands dirty by writing a few queries and pulling out the data themselves and are not too reliant on the analytics team.
What’s the next skill for the APM to nurture?
It’s the understanding of the underlying tech stack of the product & honing the skills to fairly estimate the ETA regarding the feature implementation.
Thanks for reading! If you’ve got ideas to contribute to this conversation please comment. If you like what you read and want to see more, clap me some love! Follow me here, or connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter.
Do check out exclusive Product Management resources 👇
- The Ultimate List of 100+ Product Management tools 🛠https://rohitverma.gumroad.com/l/PM-tools
- The Ultimate List of Product Management Frameworks ⚙️
- The most exhaustive OKRs notion template 📔https://rohitverma.gumroad.com/l/OKR-Template