10 commandments of the Product Manager role
The role of a product manager varies greatly depending on the company and its needs. While engineers may focus on using the latest technology and sales may focus on making money, a product manager’s primary responsibility is to build the right products for their customers.
Product management involves a set of skills that can be applied in a variety of contexts and is often a flexible role that adapts to the needs of the customer, business, and team members.
Here are the 10 commandments of the Product Manager role :
- Outline the desired features and future plans for the product in a specification document.
- Understand the pain points of the users and build empathy for the users.
- Determine and maintain a consistent message across all channels and platforms.
- Collaborate with engineering to ensure the product is built according to the specification.
- Collaborate with designers to create an intuitive and visually appealing product for the target customer.
- Collaborate with marketing to provide technical expertise and help develop effective messaging and creativity for communicating about the product.
- Showcase the product to management and gather feedback from the leadership team.
- Collaborate with sales and finance to ensure that the product has a market and is financially viable.
- Work with customer support to provide instructions, manage issues, and handle customer requests and complaints.
- Partner with PR to manage public perceptions, draft press releases, and potentially act as a spokesperson for the product.
Product managers seek out areas where customers are dissatisfied and work to resolve the underlying issues. This may involve taking notes in meetings, triaging bugs, summarizing customer feedback, organizing team documents, collaborating with designers, and working with engineering to implement solutions. The specific tasks involved in this role can vary greatly depending on the product and its needs.
Thanks for reading! If you’ve got ideas to contribute to this conversation please comment. If you like what you read and want to see more, clap me some love! Follow me here, or connect with me on LinkedIn or Twitter.
Do check out exclusive Product Management resources 👇
- The Ultimate List of 100+ Product Management tools 🛠https://rohitverma.gumroad.com/l/PM-tools
- The Ultimate List of Product Management Frameworks ⚙️
- The most exhaustive OKRs notion template 📔https://rohitverma.gumroad.com/l/OKR-Template